History & Values
Adelante Mujeres was founded in 2002 by Bridget Cooke and Sister Barbara Raymond. Through their work in other local organizations, Bridget and Barbara noticed that Latina women did not actively participate in the programs. They founded Adelante Mujeres to empower these women, who were often relegated to the home. As the founders suspected, when presented the opportunity to attend a program focused on and developed for women, these same women quickly found their voices.
Adelante Mujeres fosters the empowerment of women who are often relegated to the home. The program helps often isolated participants to build friendships, engage in the community, celebrate their cultural heritage, and improve skills and self-esteem. Our holistic approach aims to build stronger families, healthier communities, and foster respect for our planet.
Our Mission: The holistic education and empowerment of low-income Latina women and their families. We encourage all participants to believe in themselves, to commit to personal growth, to express solidarity with others, and to love and respect the Earth.
Adelante Mujeres strives to:
- Increase opportunities for family and community self-determination through holistic education, workforce and entrepreneurial training and family literacy.
- Build community through leadership development and the search for solutions to common concerns.
- Preserve, foster and share participants’ cultural heritage with the wider community and facilitate intercultural exchange.
- Advocate ecological awareness and action for a sustainable economy and healthy communities.
Adelante Mujeres believes in:
- Cooperation, accountability and a fair distribution of resources.
- Commitment to the resolution of conflict though peaceful means.
- Awareness and appreciation of the inter-relatedness of all life in the universe.