History & Values
Adelante Mujeres was founded in 2002 by Bridget Cooke and Sister Barbara Raymond. Through their work in other local organizations, Bridget and Barbara noticed that Latina women did not actively participate in the programs. They founded Adelante Mujeres to empower these women, who were often relegated to the home. As the founders suspected, when presented the opportunity to attend a program focused on and developed for women, these same women quickly found their voices.
For over 10 years, Adelante Mujeres has served western Washington County by providing holistic education and empowerment opportunities to low income Latina women and their families, in order to ensure full participation and active leadership in the community. Since 2002, Adelante has worked with over 1,400 families and continually develops and evolves programs to meet various needs of the population served.
Our Mission: Adelante Mujeres provides holistic education and empowerment opportunities to low income Latina women and their families to ensure full participation and active leadership in the community.
Nuestra misión: Adelante Mujeres provee educación integral y oportunidades de empoderamiento a mujeres latinas de bajos ingresos económicos y sus familias para lograr su participación completa y su liderazgo activo en la comunidad.
Our Vision: We envision a community where all families thrive.
Nuestra visión: Nos imaginamos una comunidad en la que todas las familias prosperan.
- Believe in yourself and others and ocmmit to personal growth
- Be in solidarity with the community
- Love and respect the earth
- Creer en sí misma y en los demás y comprometerse a crecer personalmente
- Solidarizarse con la comunidad
- Amar y respetar la naturaleza
Adelante Mujeres strives to:
- Increase opportunities for family and community self-determination through holistic education, workforce and entrepreneurial training and family literacy.
- Build community through leadership development and the search for solutions to common concerns.
- Preserve, foster and share participants’ cultural heritage with the wider community and facilitate intercultural exchange.
- Advocate ecological awareness and action for a sustainable economy and healthy communities.
Adelante Mujeres believes in:
- Cooperation, accountability and a fair distribution of resources.
- Commitment to the resolution of conflict though peaceful means.
- Awareness and appreciation of the inter-relatedness of all life in the universe.